This initiative is described in the following terms:
"Science rewired is a philanthropic initiative conceived by media140 Australia.
Launching as a one day event to promote critical thinking and action in science communication and citizen science. Our aim is to look at science and digital technology from new perspectives and shape them in such a way as to create significant positive change in the world.
The science [rewired] project and concept has been realised through media140 – a global organisation inspiring and educating digital professionals in the use of social media and online technologies.
Founded in December 2011 our goals are to:
- Create events and opportunities that will inspire scientists to develop innovative and effective ways to communicate science across borders
- Develop a community of science communicators and researchers eager to understand more about the use of digital technologies in science communication
- Facilitate possibilities for collaborative change in the world
- Promote the use of the latest digital social technologies to further science at all levels in society
- Provide a platform for science communicators to construct a space where people from all walks of life can come together in order to contribute to a better world through scientific endeavors and digital frontiers